Dr. Leone plays an active role in the development and implementation of state-of-the-art orthopedic technologies at Holy Cross Health. Here are some of the advanced technologies used at the Leone Center.
PAL (Pelvic Alignment Level)
Invented by Dr. Leone, the Pelvic Alignment Level (PAL) is a patented device and technique that helps surgeons position artificial hip joints more precisely and adjust leg length more accurately when performing total hip replacement surgery. By optimizing hip mechanics through more precise implantation, the PAL helps maximize the life of an artificial joint and gives patients better, more consistent surgical results.
The MAKOplasty™ procedure uses the RIO™ Robotic Arm Interactive Orthopedic System to allow surgeons to perform less invasive knee surgeries with extreme precision and improved results. As a welcome alternative to conventional total knee replacement surgeries, MAKOplasty™ offers numerous benefits, including faster recovery, improved range of motion, less postoperative pain and less blood loss. The MAKOplasty™ system is also frequently used to perform partial knee replacement, which leaves more of the natural joint intact and more of the cartilage, muscle and tissue untouched. It can also be used to perform knee arthroplasty through a “keyhole” incision less than half the length of those required by older techniques.
Orthopedic navigation technology is a directional tracking system similar to those used in today’s cars, boats and airplanes. It is, in effect, a global positioning system (GPS) for the operating room. Orthopedic navigation gives surgeons “real time” visual feedback on their patients’ actual anatomy and allows them to make more precise surgical decisions. This results in better outcomes.
3D imaging software allows the radiology department at Holy Cross Health to perform extremely detailed three-dimensional CT and MRI scans. These 3D scans may be used to provide the patient with a more comprehensive pre-surgical diagnosis and give doctors the information they need to choose the most appropriate and effective treatment plan. Used in conjunction with Holy Cross Health’s computerized PACS, or Picture Archiving and Communication System, referring doctors are able to consult with radiologists remotely from their home or office computers.
MARS MRI Scans
The Metal Artifact Reduction Sequence (MARS) is a specialized cross-sectional imaging study that allows doctors to visualize the tissues and fluid around total joints specifically in patients with metal implants. Our extensive experience evaluating and treating failed total joints has allowed us to fine tune sequences and get highly accurate scans of the tissues that surround and support the hip or knee. Access to this specialized imaging has dramatically enhanced clinical outcomes.
Center of Excellence
Holy Cross Health is a well-regarded, full-service, 557-bed, non-profit teaching hospital. As a key member of Holy Cross’ leadership team, Dr. Leone has helped build its reputation as a top regional hospital. Awards and honors include:
- U.S. News Best Regional Hospitals Rankings: #3 in Miami Metro Area and #10 in the State of Florida (2017-2018); “High-Performing” in hip replacement and knee replacement categories.
- U.S. News Best Regional Hospitals Rankings: #3 in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale Metro Area and #9 in the State of Florida (2016-2017).
- U.S. News Best Regional Hospitals Rankings: #2 in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale Metro Area and #7 in the State of Florida (2015-2016)
- One of 63 Hospitals Nationwide “High-Performing” in Inpatient Surgical Procedures for hip replacement and knee replacement, evaluated by U.S. News.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield’s Florida Blue’s Distinction ® Center+ for Knee and Hip Replacement – 2016
- 100 Hospitals With Great Orthopedic Programs – 2012-2013, 2015, 2016, 2017 Becker’s Hospital Review
- 125 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Orthopedic Programs – 2014 Becker’s Hospital Review
- Identified by Medicare as one of the Best Hospitals for Hip and Knee Replacements, Dec. 2013
- Holy Cross Health, Orthopedic Institute named a Center of Excellence for Hip and Knee Replacement for General Electric members, 2016, 2017
- Holy Cross Health, Orthopedic Institute named a Center of Excellence for BridgeHealth Benefits Solution, 2017